08 April 2013

Mark Of Cain (Forever I May Roam)

(Genesis 4:2-16)
parody of Wherever I May Roam written by James Hetfield & Lars Ulrich and performed by Metallica

(Abel’s flock is father’s pride)
Abel’s flock is father’s pride
It may lead to homicide
My crop’s just as bona fide
In Genesis four verse five
Read it you will see


And the best I grew I gave
Only Abel’s did God take
On the plain I made a grave

Brother’s keeper
So mad, so far gone
Abel’s blood was spilled


But I thought it was so unfair
He’s favoured but I am the heir
Abel now will lie under there
Nobody will know
Where I laid his lifeless bones, yeah

(But the earth knows what you’ve done)
But the earth knows what you’ve done
I can see all from my throne
I hear the blood-stained ground, it groans
Your selfish ways I can’t condone
One strike, you’re gone

Harvests you will no more glean
A curse you have, you’ll have no rain
Abel’s blood calls out my name


Restless wanderer
Driven from the ground
They’ll find me and kill
Yeah they will

You can leave and go anywhere
You’ll flee, leave this behind, they won’t care
But I’ll mark your face if they stare
So that they will know
You are safe, find a new home


So I’ll take my wife out of here
We’ll leave all this behind
And we’ll take our time getting there
Wherever we go
We can build ourselves a home

You can leave and go anywhere
You’ll flee, leave this behind, you won’t care
But I’ll mark your face if they stare
So that they will know
Leave the mark of Cain alone


From here I will go
Both far and wide, there will I roam
Yeah, yeah
Forever I may roam
Forever I may roam, roam
Forever I may roam
Forever I may roam, yeah
Forever I may wander
Wander, wander
Forever I may roam
Yeah, yeah, forever I may roam
Forever, forever I may roam

parody lyrics © 2002 Glenn Davies

Another of my early parodies.
One day when listening to the album “Metallica”, it hit me in the “Rover wander nomad vagabond” bit that the original version was like Cain’s theme song. So then I got to work changing the lyrics, and this was the result – a dialogue between Cain and God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment